Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cry Me a River

What do you do when you are stressed?  Chris becomes more silent than usual.  That, and a bit grumpier.  Todd becomes a tab bit...irrational.  I'm not really sure what Shem does.  He acts overwhelmed a lot and then nothing gets done.  Geneva...can a 4-year-old get stressed?  I just received the answer to my question.  She couldn't open the bathroom door.  Geneva cries.  And she does a little body bounce with that high pitched squealing (my son is correcting my spelling and grammar---thanks, Todd) sound that makes my whole body tense.  My method is completely shutting down.  If ever I become overwhelmed (Todd, quit correcting me!), I find myself unable to do anything.  My mind is so overwhelmed with whatever it is that has me frazzled and I am stuck in a state of immobilization.  Which, I might add, accomplishes nothing.  You know what gets things done?  A good cry.  It seems crying releases some sort of chemical.  Once that chemical is out, I can deal with whatever it is that has me struggling.  Problem is, how do I get myself to cry when my body is no longer responding to my brain.  Here are some good options, watch a documentary about children....children can always get me to my tear heaven.  Another good option, "Steal Magnolias."  Wait?  Is that what it's called?  Hmmm...I know what I'm talking about.  So, anybody up for a tear-jerker? 

8 comments:

  1. First of all, tell Todd he's not helping things by correcting your spelling!!! That's the computer's job.
    Second, I totally agree on the whole crying thing; getting those pent up emotions out just always does the trick! So why don't we cry more?
    I'll watch Steel Magnolias with you anytime, as long you don't make fun of my bloodshot eyes and red nose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one of thoes days last saturday. I turned on the t.v. and sat down to fold the never ending laundry and "Beaches" was on. I cryed my eyes out but felt alot better when I was done! I rembeber the days when we would rent a really sad movie, eat really fatty food and stay up talking and crying all night. I miss thoes days!!! So I am with your other friend that posted..... I'll watch Steel Magnolias with you any time.......as long as there is good junk and plenty of tissue:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. then how come i am still so crazy??? i cry ALL THE TIME. i do understand the shutting down thing. frozen. it isn't good. chick flicks are though. very very good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad thing about Steel Magnolias is the ugly cry. They showed a clip in a training I went to recently and I knew what to expect. It took everything I had to keep back the choking. I had to "disconnect." Bad thing about frozen, my brain is still thinking and I am VERY aware...I just can't act and if I try to, I end up wandering around aimlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as I have a big box of tissues I'm up for a tear-jerker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recommend Armageddon and Charly. Those two will always get me going when I need a good cry!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!