Thursday, June 10, 2010

Bucket List Check

We did it.  We became foster parents.  It happened so quickly.  We were given warning last Thursday about boy #1 last week.  We went to visit him Friday.  I could see how scared he was.  As we all sat there, I tried desperately to converse with him.  He would answer in one or two word sentences while staring at his shoes.  We did ask about his family.  He talked of several siblings but one that he was particularly close with-his older brother.  His birthday is this week.  I asked him what he wanted.  He wanted to see his mom.  I just about cried right there.  No worries, I kept the tears in check.  Monday.  7:30am.  Phone rings.  Caseworker told us his brother would be needing a home.  We didn't hesitate.  Monday.  2:30pm.  We see brother and aunt (not knowing who they were).  We wonder if that's the older brother.  He looks a lot older than 13.  I start to panic.  4:30pm.  I feel at peace.  I've given the boy's mother a tissue and a hug.  We've arranged for a visit on younger brother's birthday this week.  Birthday wish being fulfilled. 

It's been 3 days.  These have been some strange days for me.  I've got 5 kids now.  Our van is full.  No more family trips in our car.  Better get the van fixed if we want to go anywhere.  These brothers are two of the sweetest, most well-behaved kids I've met.  They have been very respectful and helpful.  They even put their dishes in the dishwasher.  The integration with my own 3 children will slowly happen.  I won't force it.  For now, we'll just take it one day at a time.  When I look at these boys, I wish everybody could see what I see.  One of my greatest wishes would be to see all my friends and family sign up to be foster families.  For me, it's something I can finally check off my Bucket List and know that we have made the right decision for our family.  Wait till you meet them.  You'll understand.

8 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I hope it continues to go well for you. Aaron and I have talked about being foster parents some day, but I don't feel ready yet. I think when our kids are just a little older...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! I hope you continue to enjoy the experience... I know thoes kids will enjoy being in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great thing for them and you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, you guys! Of course, there are adjustments. There always are--but I can only hope that in the end, when all has been said and done, all our lives will have been changed for the better. If it's ever something you have been thinking about, I say, "Do it! When the time is right."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I"m excited to meet them! I've been thinking alot about being a foster family-between you, nancy, some neglected neighborhood children. But you're right. There is a time and a season for everything. When I'm done bearing children (morning sickness=torture for everyone around, most of all ME!), I want to go through all the red tape & help some kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! My hat is off to you. I do think it takes truly special people to open their hearts and homes to children who are not their own. I am so grateful to families like yours who are so willing. What a neat time for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear that they and you are doing well. That is great that you were able to fulfill a birthday wish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marseille, I would totally encourage you to do it in the future. It is so worth it. Rachel, every person has a passion, this is one of mine (child welfare). I'm just fulfilling a dream. Chastina, the birthday turned out really well. I was worried at first at maybe feeling uncomfortable, but it was nice.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!